Do you squeal with joy? shout out with glee? run and tell your partner? I think I did all three at the same time when I first found out I was pregnant. Those steps come naturally, but I do remember thinking after that… “Now what do I do?”.
If you’re asking yourself the same question, we’ve compiled a list of things to first do when you find out you’re pregnant.
- Make an appointment with your Doctor – They may want to confirm your pregnancy with a blood test, or start the referral process for an OB. If you are planning to work with a Midwife or Doula, it’s also a good time to start your research.
- Start your prenatal health regime – At your first Doctor appointment, speak to them about which prenatal vitamins are right for you.
- Quit unhealthy habits (you know what those are!) and become aware of do’s and don’ts while pregnant – Health Canada’s website is a great resource for tips for a healthy pregnancy.
- Decide who to tell, when to tell and how to tell them – If you want to be creative and cute, one quick pinterest search will give you plenty of ideas! Or check out our blog for some of our favourite announcements.
- Be prepared for early pregnancy symptoms – Nausea and vomiting are common in the first trimester, check out our blog for Tips on Dealing with Morning Sickness
- Pick up a Bra Extender and a Belly Band – you never know when your regular clothes will start not to fit, but these two items will buy you some time before you have to shop maternity.
- Start rubbing your tummy with a Body Butter or Cream – This will keep your skin hydrated, which will help reduce the appearance of stretchmarks as your belly grows.
- Register! People will start buying you baby gifts from the moment they find out your pregnant so why not have them be items you like and need!
- Do your Kegels! It’s never too early to start exercises to keep your pelvic floor strong. Products like Elvie, a pelvic floor exercise tracker can help.
- Start looking into Childcare… sounds crazy but if you’re planning on going back to work after your maternity leave there can be year long waiting lists for some locations.
Was there anything you did when you first found out you were pregnant that’s not on the list? We’d love to hear from you, please leave a comment below.
Enjoy this post? Sign up for Bumps to Babies and be enter to win a $100 Snuggle Bugz gift card. -> CLICK HERE