Summer is here and nothing kicks off warm weather fun like a long weekend! Bathing suits are on, fireworks and cookouts are planned, and children (and adults) across the country are searching for a cool, refreshing treat that will result in sticky faces and satisfied tummies. We’ve found the perfect treat that is both easy to make and kid friendly!
Ice cream sandwiches are a great way to combine a cool blast with a crunchy treat. Sweet Pea Organic Cookies are a favourite among both young and old at our house and with their 100% whole grain organic ingredients, they are a great way to make a special treat a little healthier and are the perfect size to make a kid portion. Available in four different flavours, you can customize your ice cream sandwiches to build any combination of flavours you like, satisfying even the pickiest of palates.
A fun activity to do with kids, try making some this weekend (bonus points if you decorate them red and white for Canada Day.) My helper loved making these almost as much as she enjoyed eating them!
Here is how we made our Sweet Pea Ice Cream Sandwiches:
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone non stick mat like Silpat.
2. Line up bowls of your favourite ice cream toppings to decorate with.
3. Pick your favourite Sweet Pea Cookie flavours (we especially love the Strawberry Vanilla and Sweet Apple) and line an even amount of them with tops facing down on your baking sheet.
4. Using a 1 Tbsp Ice Cream Scoop, place a scoop on half of all the cookies. Using a scoop will help keep a consistent amount on each cookie and will also keep the ice cream contained. Work quickly because this can be melty business!
5. Once you have placed the ice cream on the first set of cookies, top each scoop with a plain cookie, pressing gently to spread/flatten the ice cream to cover the bottom cookie surface.
6. Place the entire tray in the freezer to firm up for at least an hour (the waiting is the hardest part!)
7. Once your sandwiches have firmed up, take them out of the freezer one by one to decorate. You can roll them in sprinkles, chocolate chips, nuts, fruit- just about anything you like to pair with your ice cream! Cover the surface of the ice cream sides and then place it back in the freezer while you continue to decorate the rest.
If you try out this recipe this weekend, leave us a comment or a picture and let us know how it turned out! As a special treat, all Sweet Pea Organic Cookies are on sale this weekend so grab them while you can! If you have don’t like ice cream
we can’t be friends the cookies are also delicious on their own! Cheers to the long weekend! Happy Canada Day Everyone!