It doesn’t take much to discover that the world of strollers and car seats can be very overwhelming. Every parent has something that they highly recommend, along with something that they suggest you steer clear of. So, when it comes to picking a stroller and car seat combo, how do you know which choice is the best for your family?
I’ve had the wonderful opportunity of working in Snuggle Bugz stores for a number of years and have been able to connect with many parents navigating through the early stages of parenthood. What is the number one question most advisors get asked – Where do I start?!
Already assuming that safety is priority, here are my steps for choosing a combo that is the best fit for your family and lifestyle.
1. Identify your lifestyle and stroller needs!
– Do I have limited space to store my stroller, whether it’s at home or in the car? Once in the car, do I have room to store anything else?
– Do I spend the majority of my time walking on paved or unpaved surfaces? Trails, hikes, paved roads, malls etc.
– Are we planning on having children close in age?
– How much weight am I comfortable lifting when folding and loading my stroller?
– Do you need something with a lot of storage for shopping or bringing everything with me?
When you’re prepared to answer questions like these, advisors can quickly narrow down the best options that will, or will not work for you! Which brings us to step # 2!
2. Quickly remove options that won’t work for your family in order to drown out the noise.
Not everything is going to work for your lifestyle, and sometimes things that won’t work are much easier to identify than things that will. Narrow down the overall selection to three strollers that look promising. From there get into some serious details about each!
Here are some questions to get you started:
– What is my budget?
– What kind of tires does the stroller have?
– Can I adjust the height or position of the handlebars?
– Can I fold the stroller unassisted, or even with 1 hand?
– Can I carry the stroller?
– What colour options are available?
– Can I recline the seat for my child? Will they be comfortable as they grow?
– Is the footrest adjustable?
– What infant car seats are compatible with each of these strollers?
3. Determine what car seats are compatible with your top 3 stroller picks and do some research.
Not all car seats are created equal, and it’s important that you are confident in the decision that you make for your growing family. Make a list of the car seat options that are compatible with your top stroller picks.
It’s okay to be unfamiliar with all of the lingo and terminology, but definitely worth it to figure out what it all means! Especially when it comes to the safety of your precious cargo. Don’t be afraid to ask questions! Snuggle Bugz is a community where we get to learn and explore together. The more questions you ask, the more you know.
Some things you may want to ask about:
– Side impact protection
– Anti-rebound bars
– Recall history
– Height & weight restrictions
– Length of use with infant
4. Take your pick!
Once you’ve decided on a car seat that you feel safe putting your little one in, and confident using, pair that with your top stroller pick and voila, you’ve got your own perfect travel system!